Buy Solitary Treasures
Physical CD $9.99
Classical Pop • New Age • Vocal Music
Solitary Treasures, produced by Grammy Award Winner Darlene Koldenhoven, reveals the remarkable depth of musicianship and talent of this New Age music industry pro who not only delivers her Grammy-winning vocals for this album, but arranged, orchestrated, played piano and keyboards, sang harmonies, even engineered and programmed eight out of twelve tracks and composed three of them on this her seventh album on her indie label, TimeArt Recordings.
Vocally, lyrically, musically, Solitary Treasures opens a trove of passion, drama, intrigue, love, longing, guidance, gentleness, heartland and hope, set with elements of classical, classical crossover, new age, romantic ballad, adult contemporary pop, world music and Darlene’s compelling originals. As the title suggests, each piece truly is a gem unto its own spectacular qualities, unique yet complimenting each other as a whole – like a playlist for seekers of a beautiful, deep listening and extraordinarily moving experience.
From the triumphant operatic opener, the tenor aria by Puccini from Turandot, “Nessun Dorma,” to Darlene’s riveting commemorative original “Remember Me” featuring rock guitar solo, there is singing and new age music of wild abandon to moments of deep reflection. Manuel Alejandro’s “Ay Carino,” sung in Spanish with its infectious Latin rhythms, dances it way to the innocently and sultrily sung “A Celtic American Treasury,” a medley Darlene arranged to include “Down by the Salley Gardens,” “Shenandoah,” and “The Water is Wide” with a little Americana instrumental of her own. The charming Italian classical crossover ‘aria’ “Lo Specchio” (The Mirror) by Kevin Malpass, Chris Neil & Julia Velo dresses the stage with Darlene’s beautiful coloratura solo singing and deliberate, lyrical phrasing. Darlene’s arrangement of Seal’s “Kiss From a Rose” is sung with a pop flare and is enhanced with curious instrumental twists and classical choirs of children and adults bridging on a grand crescendo before settling back into the native groove of the song. The grander, romantic songs “All I Am,” by Kevin Malpass & Catherine Porter, “The Last Words You Said” by Richard Marx & Janey Clewer, and Darlene’s arrangement of the song she sang on The Young and the Restless, “The Prayer” from Quest for Camelot by David Foster & Carole Bayer-Sager, are breathtaking standouts. “Clair de lune for Bella’s Lullaby” sweetly introduces the stellar and only vocalise on this album for “Bella’s Lullaby” from the hit soundtrack for Twilight; the voice and piano arranged by Darlene with orchestra. Darlene arranged the familiar Debussy piano piece as the vocalise introduction to the Burwell piece. The one exclusively instrumental piece, “Lucid See,” is like drifting off to the sound of relaxing surf, showcasing Darlene’s talent for melodic instrumental composition and performance on piano. Mike Miller dazzles on all the various guitars performed on the album – acoustic, electric, cavaquino, banjo, and dobro. Chris Bleth appears on oboe, Terry Glenny –violin, Jimbo Ross –viola, and Nika Ross –cello. Steve Shepherd’s creative mixing blended it all together seamlessly and dynamically and Ron Bousted’s final mastering touch gave it that shiny ambience. Solitary Treasures –a work of art from alpha to omega.
Solitary Treasures 10/10/11 is the third album by Darlene Koldenhoven created and recorded within the first nine months of 2011 beginning with the 17 song, classical voice and piano, Angel on Ivories 2/11/11 followed by the uplifting, inspirational and relaxing Inspired by a True Story6/28/11. Broadcasters worldwide voted Darlene’s previous two albums #1 in 2007, Infinite Voice Best Vocal Album and Heavenly Peace Best Holiday Album.
Solitary Treasures • Produced by Darlene Koldenhoven
Titles, Times, Writers, Publishers, Performers • Total Running Time: 46:12
Darlene Koldenhoven: All Lead Vocals, Background Vocals, Vocal Arrangements
Keyboards, Instrumental Arrangements, Programming & Performance on tracks 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12
1. Nessun Dorma from Turandot (1924) 3:37 – Giacomo Puccini ©2011 DarSongs Music, ASCAP • Track Performance & Programming: Jim McMillan • Introduction Track Arrangement & Performance by Darlene Koldenhoven
2. Lo Specchio 3:13 – Kevin Malpass, Chris Neil, Julia Velo; ©2008 Stage Three/BMG Rights, 63 Songs/Catalyst Music, Overlook Italia • Track Arrangement & Performance: Kevin Malpass
3. Clair de lune for Bella’s Lullaby :58 from Suite Bergamasque (1905) – Claude Debussy arranged by Darlene Koldenhoven ©2011 DarSongs Music, ASCAP • Track Arrangement & Performance: Darlene Koldenhoven
4. Bella’s Lullaby from Twilight 2:16 – Carter Burwell ©2008 Rimutaka Music Publishing, ASCAP • Track Arrangement & Performance: Darlene Koldenhoven
5. Kiss From a Rose 5:15 – Samuel Seal ©1994 SPZ Music Inc., BMI • Track Arrangement & Performance: Darlene Koldenhoven • Acoustic, Electric, & Cavaquino Guitars: Mike Miller • Oboe: Chris Bleth • Children’s Choir: Lexie Hofer, Zoriah Eslin, Saphira Howell, Camila Leon, Amanda Korris • Adult Choir: Darlene Koldenhoven, Christine Gutter, Marla Douglas, Donna Medine, Lexie Hofer, David Joyce, Todd Honeycutt, Bob Joyce, Roger Freeland
6. All I Am 4:16 – Kevin Malpass & Catherine Porter ©2008 Copyright Control, ASCAP/Copyright Control, ASCAP • Track Arrangement & Performance: Kevin Malpass
7. Ay Carino 4:13 – Manuel Alejandro ©2008 Universal Music-Careers, BMI / SGAE • Track Adaptation: Doug Lenier, Steve Shepherd • Acoustic & Cavaquino Guitars: Mike Miller • Background Vocals: Darlene Koldenhoven, Terry Wood, Leyla Hoyle • Spanish Diction Coaches: Tony Gueffen, Enrique Elizondo
8. A Celtic American Treasury: Down by the Salley Gardens, Shenandoah, The Water is Wide 5:04 – Celtic & American Traditional arranged by Darlene Koldenhoven ©2011 DarSongs Music, ASCAP • Track Arrangement & Performance: Darlene Koldenhoven • Guitar, Dobro, Banjo: Mike Miller
9. Lucid See 4:06 – Darlene Koldenhoven ©2011 DarSongs Music, ASCAP • Track Arrangement & Performance, Quartz Singing Bowls: Darlene Koldenhoven • Guitar: Mike Miller
10. The Last Words You Said 4:07 – Richard Marx (Music) & Janey Clewer (Lyric) ©1998 Chrysalis Music Group, ASCAP/Preacher's Kid Publishing, BMI • Track Adaptation Tribute to Arrangement by Jeremy Lubbock: Darlene Koldenhoven • Track Performance: Darlene Koldenhoven • Oboe: Chris Bleth • Violin: Terry Glenny • Viola: Jimbo Ross • Cello: Nika Ross
11. Remember Me 5:05 – Darlene Koldenhoven ©2011 DarSongs Music, ASCAP • Track Arrangement & Performance: Darlene Koldenhoven • Guitar: Mike Miller
12. The Prayer from Quest for Camelot 3:31 – David Foster & Carole Bayer-Sager ©1998 Songs of Universal, Inc. OBO Warner-Barham music, LLC. BMI • Track Arrangement & Performance: Darlene Koldenhoven • Oboe: Chris Bleth
Recorded at TimeArt Studio, Studio City, CA • Engineering: Steve Shepherd and Darlene Koldenhoven • Mixing: Steve Shepherd • Mastering: Ron Boustead at Resolution Mastering • Photo: William Cloyd • Graphics: TimeArt Productions - William Cloyd, Brian Stroh • email@example.com • © & p 2011 TimeArt Recordings • All Rights Reserved. TimeArt D10917 • www.darlenekoldenhoven.com • ISBN: 9780978956257 • UPC 765181109170